These presentations were given at various conferences and meetings and provide an overview of the rule, as well as what FHWA is doing to support rule implementation and what some states are doing that fits in with the rule. Please contact the presentation authors directly if you have questions or comments regarding these presentations.
- Webinar on Work Zone Project Coordination - Held on September 24, 2012
- Transcript (HTML, PDF 101KB)
- Great Lakes Regional Transportation Operations Coalition Presentation, by Bobbi Welke, Michigan Department of Transportation and Peter Rafferty, University of Wisconsin Madison (HTML, PDF 3.3MB)
- New York City Department of Transportation Presentation, by John Speroni, New York City Department of Transportation (HTML, PDF 650KB)
- Oregon Department of Transportation Presentation, by Tony Coleman, Oregon Department of Transportation (HTML, PDF 4.6MB)
- Webinar on Work Zone Fatality Reduction Strategies - Held on May 23, 2012
- Transcript (HTML, PDF 110KB)
- Introduction Presentation, by Tracy Scriba, FHWA (HTML, PDF 476KB)
- California Presentation, by Joe Jeffrey, Road-Tech Safety Services (HTML, PDF 467KB))
- Florida Presentation, by Stefanie Maxwell, Florida Department of Transportation (HTML, PDF 3.2MB)
- North Carolina Presentation, by Steve Kite, North Carolina Department of Transportation (HTML, PDF 319KB)
- Webinar on Work Zone Training Programs - held on February 1, 2012
- Transcript (HTML, PDF 135KB)
- Introduction Presentation, by Tracy Scriba, FHWA Work Zone Mobility and Safety Team (HTML, PDF 927KB)
- New Hampshire Law Enforcement Training, by Marty Calawa, FHWA New Hampshire Division Office (HTML, PDF 1.1MB)
- Virginia Work Zone Traffic Control Training, by David Rush, Virginia DOT (HTML, PDF 764KB)
- Louisiana Work Zone Training, by Barry Lacy, Louisiana DOTD (HTML, PDF 7.8MB)
- Louisiana Law Enforcement Training, by Ron Whittaker, Louisiana DOTD (HTML, PDF 319KB)
- Webinar on Work Zone Process Reviews - held on October 31, 2011
- Transcript (HTML, PDF 203KB)
- Introduction Presentation, by Tracy Scriba, FHWA Work Zone Mobility and Safety Team (HTML, PDF 302KB)
- Iowa Presentation, by Jerry Roche, FHWA Iowa Division and Dan Sprengeler, Iowa DOT (HTML, PDF 299KB)
- Colorado Presentation, by Dahir Egal, FHWA Colorado Division; K.C. Matthews, Colorado DOT; and San Lee, Colorado DOT (HTML, PDF 150KB)
- Louisiana Presentation, by Betsey Tramonte, FHWA Louisiana Division and Barry Lacy, Louisiana DOTD (HTML, PDF 340KB)
- Webinar on Developing Successful TMPs — held on May 3, 2011
- Transcript (HTML, DOCX 56KB)
- Presentation by Angie Kremer, Michigan DOT – Focuses on TMP review and monitoring processes (HTML, PDF 1MB)
- Presentation by Russell Holt, Rhode Island DOT – Focuses on the development and usage of TMP templates (HTML, PDF 1.3MB)
- Presentation by Tom Notbohm, Wisconsin DOT – Focuses on WisDOT safety-related TMP strategies (HTML, PDF 3.1MB)
- 2008 Regional Workshops Presentations - Given at the Regional Workshops on the Rule, held via webinar in 2008
- Implementation of Transportation Management Plans (HTML, PPT 4.6MB) - Given at the AASHTO Design Meeting on July 15, 2008 and oriented toward the role that designers play in developing TMPs, it covers the basics of TMP development, a summary of the state of the practice of TMP development and implementation across the country, and a list of TMP development resources.
- Work Zone Rule Implementation: What are States Doing to
Implement the Rule? - Presentations from the Talking Operations
Web Cast, March 19, 2007
- Web Cast Recording (18.2MB) - Viewing this file requires the WebEx plug-in.
- Closed Captioning (93KB) - Viewing this file require Real Player.
- Chat Transcript from Web Cast (DOC 29KB)
- Update on the Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule: Tools, Resources, and Progress, by Tracy Scriba, Office of Operations, FHWA (PPT 2.4MB)
- Washington State DOT's Rule Implementation Process and Policy, by Frank Newboles, State Work Zone Safety and Mobility Manager, Washington State DOT & Cathy Nicholas, P.E., Construction & Materials Engineer, FHWA Washington Division (PPT 39KB)
- Maryland State Highway Administration's Rule Implementation Process, by Jawad Paracha, P.E., P.T.O.E., Assistant Division Chief of Traffic Development and Support Division, Maryland State Highway Administration (PPT 77 KB)
- Virginia DOT's Rule Implementation Process and TMP Development Guidelines, by Paul Kelley, Assistant State Work Zone Safety Coordinator, Virginia Department of Transportation (PPT 514KB)
- Regional Workshops Detailed Presentation: Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule (HTML, PPT 3.1MB) - Given at the Regional Workshops on the WZ Rule that were held around the country in 2006, it covers all the components of the Rule and includes information on implementation guidance. Much of the material presented comes from the WZ Rule guides.
- Implementing the Rule on Work Zone Safety and Mobility - Given on web casts held on October 26 and November 1, 2005, it presents a brief overview of the Rule and a high level summary of the Rule Implementation Guide. It also covers a number of topics related to implementing the Rule.
- Reducing Congestion: Good Work Zone Management Strategies that Can Help - Presentations from the Talking Operations Web Cast, February 17, 2005.
- Web Cast Recording (18.9MB) - Viewing this file requires the WebEx plug-in.
- Transportation Management Plans - Managing Congestion in Work Zones (PPT 4.72MB), by Jacqueline Ghezzi, P.E., Chief, Traffic Management Branch, Division of Traffic Operations, California Department of Transportation
- Work Zone Crash Analysis and Traffic Management in Work Zones - the ODOT MOT Process (PPT 2.27MB), by David Holstein, P.E., State Traffic Engineer, Ohio Department of Transportation
- The Final Rule on Work Zone Safety and Mobility (PPT 2.0MB), by Tracy Scriba, Transportation Specialist, FHWA Office of Operations
- Work Zone Safety and Mobility Final Rule (PDF 523KB) - Given at the American Road and Transportation Builders Association 2004 National Work Zone Conference.
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®.
PPT files can be viewed with the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer.
DOC files can be viewed with the Microsoft Word Viewer.