Guidance and Other Technical Resources
All materials on this page that were developed by FHWA are available in hard copy at no cost. To request copies, please send an email with the name of the publication you are requesting, number of copies needed, and shipping directions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Implementing the Rule on Work Zone Safety and Mobility (HTML, PDF 1.3MB) – Provides a general overview of the Rule, as well as guidance, examples, best practices, tools, and resources to help implement the Rule's provisions.
- Work Zone Impacts Assessment: An Approach to Assess and Manage Work Zone Safety and Mobility Impacts of Road Projects (HTML, PDF 10MB) - Provides guidance on developing procedures to assess and manage work zone impacts of road projects, as well as examples of how agencies are currently assessing and managing work zone impacts.
- Developing and Implementing Transportation Management Plans for Work Zones (HTML, PDF 1.4MB) – Provides information about developing and implementing Transportation Management Plans (TMPs), including information on how and where a TMP fits into project-level processes and procedures, a list of components that can be considered for inclusion in a TMP, descriptions of work zone management strategies, and examples and practices of how agencies are currently using TMPs.
- Work Zone Public Information and Outreach Strategies (HTML, PDF 3.4MB) – Provides tips, examples, and practices on designing a public information and outreach campaign for work zones and offers a variety of strategies that can be used in a campaign.
- Applying the Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule to Design-Build Projects – The good work zone planning, design, and operations practices advocated by the Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule still apply to design-build (DB) projects, but they may need to be applied somewhat differently to address the differences between DB and traditional design-bid-build processes.
- Overview of background and key aspects of the Rule
- Fact Sheets on Three Key Aspects of the Rule
- Considering Work Zone Impacts Brochure (PDF, 1.1MB) – Brief summary of the FHWA guide on Assessing Work Zone Impacts.
- CD Containing Work Zone Safety and Mobility Rule Implementation Guides and Other Resources (Publication Number: FHWA-HOP-07-116) – Contains all four of the Rule implementation guides; other Rule-related resources such as checklists, templates, and a set of frequently asked questions (FAQs); and information on the Work Zone Peer-to-Peer Program and other resources. Most of the materials on the CD are available in hardcopy and on this web site. The CD pulls these materials together in one small package and provides some of the materials in a more easily usable format. The CD can be ordered using the instructions at the top of this page.
- Work Zone Process Review Toolbox – The Toolbox contains tools to help conduct an effective Work Zone Process Review. Process reviews are required at least every 2 years under the Rule. The Toolbox discusses determining the purpose/goals and scope of a review, expected outcomes, team members, and possible data sources, and contains sets of questions that can be used to assess various work zone program areas during a review. The Toolbox also provides information on training, examples and tips that share what other peers have done, and answers to commonly-asked questions about reviews.
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®.