Next Generation Simulation (NGSIM)
To develop a core of open behavioral algorithms in support of traffic simulation with a primary focus on microscopic modeling, including supporting documentation and validation data sets that describe the interactions of multimodal travelers, vehicles and highway systems, and interactions presented to them from traffic control devices, delineation, congestion, and other features of the environment.
- To ensure that NGSIM research meets the needs of stakeholders, addresses existing gaps, and that its products are openly distributed and made freely available to the simulation community.
- To collect data sets for the research, development, and validation of behavioral algorithms and for use by the simulation community.
- To develop new behavioral algorithms and improve existing algorithms in order to incorporate previously ignored influencing factors and to improve the trustworthiness of existing models.
Access more information on NGSIM, including available data sets, algorithms and documents.
- A Model Endeavor - An article by Vassili Alexiadis, James Colyar,
and John Halkias: A public-private partnership is
working to improve traffic microsimulation technology. (FHWA
Public Roads January/February 2007)
- Next Generation SIMulation Fact Sheets