Freight Analysis Framework
The Freight Analysis Framework (FAF) integrates data from a variety of sources to create a comprehensive picture of freight movement among states and major metropolitan areas by all modes of transportation. With data from the 2007 Commodity Flow Survey and additional sources, FAF version 3 (FAF3) provides estimates for tonnage, value, and domestic ton-miles by region of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode for 2007, the most recent year, and forecasts through 2040. Also included are state-to-state flows for these years plus 1997 and 2002, summary statistics, and flows by truck assigned to the highway network for 2007 and 2040.
The 2013 Freight Facts and Figures (HTML, PDF 5.8MB) is now available.
FAF Quarterly Webinar
Please join the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) Office of Freight Management and Operations for a webinar on the Freight Analysis Framework (FAF).
|Date & Time
||Description of Topic
|April 29, 2015
1:00-2:30 PM Eastern
|Using FAF Data for Freight Planning **
||The webinar will feature speakers from the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, the Illinois Department of Transportation and Parsons Brinckerhoff. Speakers will present case studies on how they used FAF data to support regional and State freight planning activities, such as using FAF data to analyze the regional economic impacts of goods movement or develop a statewide freight plan.
This webinar is aimed toward practitioners in State departments of transportation, metropolitan/regional planning organizations, and other agencies with basic or no knowledge of the FAF who would like to move to the next skill level. This webinar will also provide a useful foundation for more advanced topics (e.g., linking FAF with county-level data) covered in future webinars.
FHWA has moved to a new registration system in an External SharePoint site which will provide the users with exciting new features such as:
- Dashboard with information on all the session you are registered
- Waiting list feature
- Outlook calendar appointment attached to confirmation email
In the new External SharePoint System, EXTERNAL users (those without a @dot.gov email address) will have to request an account before they can register. To request an account, select or click: https://collaboration.fhwa.dot.gov/FBA/Register.aspx. Step-by step instructions on how to request an account are available here.
The account issuance takes approximately one business day. Once you receive your account information, you can access the registration site by clicking on the registration link and logging in.
DOT users do not have to create an account in order to register. They can select or click on the registration link and use their DOT credentials to access the site.
Archived FAF Listening Sessions – FHWA offered two listening sessions in December 2013 and January 2014 to obtain feedback on the next generation of the FAF. Recordings of these sessions are available from the links below:
FAF3 Origin-Destination Data
- FAF Data Tabulation Tool – Create and download customized FAF3 summary tables
- Regional Database of tonnage, value, and domestic ton-miles by FAF region of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode for 2007 through 2040
- FAF3 Regional Database for 2007 with forecasts through 2040, and 2012 Provisional Data in zipped Microsoft Access format [faf3_5_access03.zip 233MB]
- FAF3 Regional Data base for 2007 with forecasts through 2040 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5.zip 144MB]
- FAF3 Provisional Annual Data for 2012 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5_prov2012.zip 24MB]
- State Database of tonnage, value, and domestic ton-miles by state of origin and destination, commodity type, and mode for 1997 through 2040. Note: 1997 and 2002 have been reprocessed using FAF3 methodology with original source data.
- FAF3 State Database for 2007 with forecasts through 2040, 2012 Provisional Data, and Reprocessed State Annual Data for 1997 and 2002 in zipped Microsoft Access format [faf3_5_access03state.zip 119MB]
- FAF3 State Database for 2007 with forecasts through 2040 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5_state.zip 179MB]
- FAF3 State Provisional Annual Data for 2012 in zipped CSV format [faf3_5_prov2012state.zip 9MB]
- FAF3 Reprocessed State Annual Data for 1997 in zipped CSV format [faf3_3_1997_state.zip 10MB]
- FAF3 Reprocessed State Annual Data for 2002 in zipped CSV format [faf3_3_2002_state.zip 7MB]
FAF3 Summary Statistics and Products
FAF3 Network Data
PDF files can be viewed with the Acrobat® Reader®
If you need the Windows® version of WinZip®, you may download it from http://www.winzip.com/prodpagewz.htm.