MAP-21 Comprehensive Truck Size and Weight Limits Study
Significant Freight Provisions Fact Sheet
The MAP-21 Significant Freight Provisions Fact Sheet details a number of provisions to improve the condition and performance of the national freight network and support investment in freight-related surface transportation projects.
Provisions in MAP-21, the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (P.L. 112-141), require the USDOT to conduct a Comprehensive Truck Size and Weight Limits Study (MAP-21 §32801) addressing differences in safety risks, infrastructure impacts, and the effect on levels of enforcement between trucks operating at or within federal truck size and weight (TSW) limits and trucks legally operating in excess of federal limits; comparing and contrasting the potential safety and infrastructure impacts of alternative configurations (including configurations that exceed current federal TSW limits) to the current Federal TSW law and regulations; and, estimating the effects of freight diversion due to these alternative configurations.
- Project Milestones and Schedule
- Peer Review
- The National Academies TRB-SASP-13-03 – Follow this link for more information regarding the independent peer review of the USDOT Comprehensive Truck Size and Weight Limits Study
- Updated April 18, 2014
- Transportation Research Board's (TRB) Independent Peer Review Committee's First Letter Report (Desk Scans) – On April 8, 2014, the TRB released the first letter report from their independent peer review committee that is looking at the USDOT Truck Size and Weight Limits Study. This first report reviews five preliminary products of the study, called desk scans, which are surveys of past research and analysis methods for estimating the effects of changes in truck size and weight limits in each of five areas: bridges, pavements, truck and rail shares of freight traffic, safety, and enforcement of truck regulations. Additional information can be found here: http://www8.nationalacademies.org/cp/projectview.aspx?key=49568.
- Transportation Research Board's Independent Peer Review Committee's Meeting on Technical Analysis Methods – On April 14, 2014, the TRB TSW Peer Review Committee held a meeting in Washington, D.C.. The Committee discussed the USDOT Truck Size and Weight Limits Study technical analysis methods with the USDOT Study Team in order to prepare for the Committee's review of the technical analysis reports to be released by USDOT later this spring. The meeting was open to the public. Additional information can be found here: http://www8.nationalacademies.org/cp/projectview.aspx?key=49568.
- Comprehensive Truck Size & Weight Limits Study Draft Desk Scans
- Comprehensive Truck Size & Weight Limits Study Draft Project Plans
- Technical Support Contractors and Subcontractors
- Public Outreach
- Public Comments
- Comments on the Comprehensive Truck Size and Weight Limits Study may be submitted and viewed at the following web address: Docket Number FHWA-2014-0035. Your comment and prior comments submitted to US DOT on this Study will be available to the public through this docket.
You may need the Adobe® Reader® to view the PDFs on this page.