Freeway Operations and Traffic Management
Overall freeway operations and traffic management involves managing travel and controlling traffic involves the application of the appropriate policies, strategies, and actions to mitigate any potential impacts resulting from the intensity, timing, and location of travel and to enhance mobility on highway and freeway facilities.
- Ramp Metering Primer (HTML, PDF 4.8MB)
- Ramp Metering Informational Brief (HTML, PDF 1.7MB)
- Freeway Management and Operations Handbook, September 2003, FHWA-OP-04-003, EDL No.: 13875 (HTML, PDF 8.4MB)
- Update: The handbook was developed in September 2003, and has since been updated to reflect current state of practice. Updates to this handbook were coordinated by the TRB Freeway Operations Committee Task Force. See Revision History for more information.
- Revision Updates
- January 2011
- Managed Lanes Chapter 8 (HTML, PDF 3.6MB)
- If you have comments or suggestions for updating the handbook, please send them via email to GregM.Jones@dot.gov.
- TRB Freeway Operations Committee web site, AHB 20
- Other Links
You may need the Adobe® Reader® to view the PDFs on this page.