Research and Development
In August 2005, the president signed the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU). Section 5308 of SAFETEA-LU authorizes the establishment of a Road Weather Research and Development Program to (1) maximize use of available road weather information and technologies, (2) expand road weather research and development efforts to enhance roadway safety, capacity, and efficiency while minimizing environmental impacts, and (3) promote technology transfer of effective road weather scientific and technological advances. The legislation directs the Road Weather Research and Development Program to carry out research and development called for in the National Research Council report entitled Where the Weather Meets the Road: A Research Agenda for Improving Road Weather Services. The FHWA will lead this program in partnership with NOAA, AASHTO, nonprofit organizations, and the private sector. The following links provide information on past and current road weather research and development efforts.
- National Academy of Sciences, Transportation Research Board (TRB) Surface Transportation Weather Committee
- National Academy of Sciences, TRB Winter Maintenance Committee
- NOAA Surface Weather Program
- OFCM Weather Information for Surface Transportation (WIST)
- Iowa State University, Center for Weather Impacts on Mobility and Safety
- Montana State University, Western Transportation Institute
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
- University of North Dakota, Surface Transportation Weather Research Center
To view PDF files, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader.